Sunday, July 15, 2012

Dorothy Eckersell Kennington

Dorothy Eckersell Kennington
Q. Where did your grandparents live? What was their home like?
A. The Eckersells lived in Rexburg, Idaho. It was an old brick home; it was probably built in
the early 1900s. My grandma Berry lived in Hibbard, Idaho. Her house was comfortable and
small.
Q. Do you remember any of your four grandparents and do you have memories of them?
A. Grandpa Eckersell. We lived upstairs in his house. He would hit the ceiling with the broom
if we were being too loud. I'd run errands to the butcher shop to get pickled pig's feet for
him. He died while I was in grade school.
Grandma Eckersell. She was always pleasant. She died while I was on my mission.
Grandpa Berry. He died while I was in 1st grade.
Grandma Berry. We would visit her in Hibbard where she lived. She spent a lot of time in
Logan working. She died several years after I got married.
Q. Did you have a close relationship with your grand parents?
A. I lived in the upstairs of my Eckersell grandparents home growing up. My parents purchased the home after I was graduated from Ricks. So I was very close to them. My grandmother Berry was a widow and lived in Hibbard and Logan so I was not as acquainted with her. She was more like company.
Q. Where did your parents grow up?
A. My father Wilford Eckersell grew up in Rexburg, Idaho. My mother Cora Berry grew up in Hibbard, Idaho.
Q. When and where were you born?
A. I was born on September 25, 1926 in Rexburg, Idaho.
Q. Where did you live as a child? 
A. In Rexburg, Idaho.
Q. What did your father do for a living?
A. He worked at the seed warehouse. During the depression he worked for the WPA. He
worked in his brother's pool hall for a while, at a farm equipment store, and a boat club. He
pretty much worked where ever he could get a job.
Q. Did you and your father share any interests? Tell about your relationship.  
A. He was a good father and I tried to be a good daughter; we got along well.
Q. What do you remember about shopping with your mother? 
A. I remember shopping for my 8th grade graduation dress at JC Penny's and shopping for my wedding dress at Classic Shop in Rexburg, Idaho.
Q. How did your mother spend her time?
A.  She spent all of her time taking care of her family; she did all of the cooking, took care of the house, and played with her kids.
Q. What is a special smell you remember from your childhood? 
A. Mother baking bread, it just smelled good.
Q. Tell about your favorite uncle.
A.   I don't like the word favorite. But the one I was probably closest to growing up was Blair; he was close to my age. We had lots of fun playing together and just growing up.
Q. Tell about your favorite aunt.
A. The aunt I was closest to was my Aunt Betty. She had a daughter my age. We always lived
fairly close until they moved to Salt Lake when I was in 6th grade. One summer I lived with
her in Salt Lake while I worked at Montgomery Ward.
Q. Between the ages 5-10 what was your favorite activity?  
A. Making paper dolls and playing house.
Q. Did you have any pets as a child?
A. We always had a little poodle dog and cats.
Q. Were you in charge of any household chores?
A. I would help haul water into the house and bring in firewood. I would also help tend the kids.
Q. How was discipline carried out in your home?  
A. I guess if we needed a spanking we got it.
Q. Describe a childhood Christmas.
A. Grandma Berry would come on Christmas Eve, and one Christmas she stayed longer, and I was wishing she would hurry up and go home so Santa would come.
Q. Do you recall any major events that took place in your neighborhood while you were

growing up?   
A. We lived by the train tracks in Rexburg, Idaho, and a train hit an older couple when they were crossing the tracks in their car on a Sunday afternoon. In the fall my 4th cousin who was about 2 or 3 years old went missing and they found his body in the potato warehouse pond.
Q. Tell about some of your neighbors as a child.
A. The Smart family lived right next door (to the North). We enjoyed their kids and they were
nice people. To the South lived the Lewis'. They were distant relatives of ours and they had
a daughter my age.
Q. What can you remember about the day you were baptized?
A. My cousin Vera Warnski was baptized with me in the old Rexburg tabernacle in the
basement. I got new flannel pajamas to get baptized in. I felt like I swallowed all the water in the baptismal font; that's probably why I don't like water.
Q. What was your favorite Saturday activity as a child?
A. Going to the movie matinee and sitting through it a couple times.
Q. What do you think of movies? What is your favorite movie?
A. I grew up with Saturday afternoon matinees; most of them were westerns. I had no favorites.
Actually since I have been married I could count on one hand or less the movies I have seen
at the theater.
Q. Did you have a bicycle?
A. I got a bike for my 8th grade graduation and my whole family used it.
Q. Tell how you felt about school.
A. I was always glad to have summer vacation. I minded my own business and did my work.
Q. Tell about any schools you attended and any special teachers, friends, humorous situations,
and achievements you had. 
 A. Washington Elementary
Adams Elementary—6th grade because Washington had too many 6th grade students
Madison High School
Ricks College
My friends were my sisters and girls in the neighborhood—Leatrice Lewis, Griffin girls,
Naomi Buckmiller, Violet Hiari, and Fusaye Odow. Violet and Fusaye were Japanese girls.
We were close to the Odows; their brother Richard was one of Berry's and the family's close
friends.
Q. Were you ever in drama, speech, sports, pep clubs, etc.?
A. I chose to play the violin in orchestra. We would play for the high school musicals.
Q. What instrument do you play or wish you could play?
A. I started playing the violin in 5th or 6th grade. I didn't practice as much as I should have. I
took orchestra all through high school.   During high school graduation I played a trio with
two other girls.
Q. Extra school activities? 
A. None.
Q. What were your dreams as a teenager?
A. To go to Ricks College and become a teacher.
Q. Tell about your teenage social life.
A. I started working as a sophomore in a lady's house where I would do house work. Since I worked I missed out on mutual. Work came first before play.

Q. Were there any events, world of local that changed your life?
A. World War II. A couple of my uncles had to go over seas-Uncle Blair and Uncle Lamar. I took a great interest in the war.   I was in high school at the time, freshman or sophomore.
Q. What things do you enjoy doing today that you also enjoyed as a child? 
A.  Sewing, reading, and crocheting. Grandma Eckersell and my mother taught me how to sew and crochet.
Q. What presidents of the church have been alive while you have been alive?  
A. Heber J. Grant, George Albert Smith, David O. Mckay, Joseph Fielding Smith, Harold B. Lee, Spencer W. Kimball, Ezra Taft Benson, Howard W. Hunter, Gordon B. Hinkley, and Thomas S. Monson.
Q. Describe your conversion to the gospel.  
A. It was just part of growing up.
Q. Tell about any influential church leaders or teachers that are special to you and why? 
A. Bishop Peterson and Bishop Piper—they were the most important because I didn't even
know there was a prophet. Primary teachers took an interest in me and mutual teachers spent
time and took an interest in me.
Q. What church calling have you had?
A. Primary secretary (several times), primary president counselor, sunbeam primary teacher, a
teacher in relief society, Sunday school teacher, and junior Sunday school coordinator. It's a
lot of work. I liked the people I worked with.
Q. What church awards have you earned?
A. None.
Q. What are your most precious and deeply imbedded values? 
A.   The teachings of the gospel.
Q. What do you think brings good luck or blessings?  
A. Living as you should.
Q. What is your secret for good health?  
A. Live the word of wisdom.
Q. Did you go on a mission?
A. In June 1949-December 1950 I went on a mission to Northern California. It was a good
learning experience. And in October 2001-March 2003 I went on a mission to San Antonio,
Texas.
Q. What is the most adventuresome thing you've ever done?
A. Going on a mission—I went to Northern California. Also teaching the first year of school in Shelley Idaho—it was a busy time.

Q. What was the first piece of furniture you bought?
A. After I got home from my mission I bought a sewing machine. I had a postal savings account and I had saved up enough money to buy a sewing machine.
Q.   Describe your wedding day.
A.   Forest and I got married in the Idaho Falls temple and we went on our honeymoon to the West Coast right afterwards.
Q. Describe home/apt, as a young couple.
A. A little small white house on our Bedford farm.
Q. What were your cooking skills as a young spouse?
A. Forrest cooked out first meal. After living away from home for five years I still did not know how to cook. It has really been a learning experience and still is.
Q. What's the most wonderful thing that ever happened to you? 
 A. Having a family.
Q. Tell about the birth of your first child.
A. I was excited and glad to have it over with.
Q. What is your child rearing philosophy? A. Take one day at a time.
Q. Tell about your philosophy for handling money.
A. Spend your money wisely. Don't go into dept for things you don't need.
Q.   Describe a favorite vacation in your married years.
A.   For Easter vacation we drove to Whidbey Island, Washington to see Ann and Alex Macbeth.  We took a ferry to the San Juan Islands; we didn't get off of the ferry, so we spent our afternoon aboard the ferry.
Q. Tell about your life after your children moved out.
A. My life didn't change that much. I didn't have to go back to work, I still had to fix three meals a day, and the housework had to be done.
Q. How do you feel about being a grandparent? A. It's nice—it's a good experience.
Q.  Tell about your grandchildren.
A. I have 27 grandchildren including great grandchildren. Their names are Devin, Blaine,
Collette, and Andrea Hamblin, Eric, Monica, Christy, Kyle, and Danielle Macbeth, Mike,
Steve, Kelly, and Allen Cox, Tyler, Karisa, Ashley, Brittney, and Bryce Beatty, Teddye,
Grant, Nate, and Kurt Kennington, Kelsey, Riley, Kaitlyn Madeline, and Eryn Kennington, and my 15 great
grandchildren are Braden, Brooke, Ashely, Jace, Jenna, and Leia Hamblin. Bridger, Corbin, Reagan, and Hudson Lake. Hannah and Lindsay Macbeth, Markus Foster, Emory and Gavin John.

Q. Tell about your family traditions.
A. We have a big family dinner on Thanksgiving Day. On Memorial Day whoever can come goes up to the cemetery and puts flowers on our family's gravestones.
Q. What is your greatest joy? What is your greatest sorrow?
A. My greatest joy is my family and my greatest sorrow would be their sorrows.
Q. What political party comes closest to representing your own point of view? How do you feel
about politics? 
 A. The Republican Party closely represents my views; Democrats are too liberal. I'm not interested in getting involved.
Q. What are your food preferences? How did they come about?
A. I like potatoes and gravy, meat pies, and homemade rolls; pretty much anything that is edible. My preferences came about just by eating the foods.
Q. What kind of music do you like?  
A. Anything besides rock and roll.
Q. What are you frightened of?  
A. Mice and horses.
Q. What are some of your favorite smells?
A.   I like the smell of lavender, things cooking on the grill, and the smell after it rains.
Q.   Describe your favorite type of clothing. 
A. Clothing that is modest and conservative.
Q.   Describe a perfect spring day.
A.   When I get to hang clothes outside to dry for the first time since winter.
Q.   Describe the perfect summer day.
A.   When it's a beautiful day and I feel like going outside to work.
Q. Describe the perfect fall day.  
A. A warm and sunny day.
Q.   Describe the perfect winter day.
A.   One that I can sit in the house and look out at the snow. I never liked playing in the snow.
* One day I made a cake and it had the best look and color but it smelled like chili. I had added chili powder by mistake instead of cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment